Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Favorite Low Calorie Foods

     I always have to stock up on low-calorie foods that I can eat without feeling guilty. This is a list of my favorites, by category. Feel free to comment with low-cal foods that you like!
Vegetables: carrot sticks, bell pepper, mushrooms, green beans, cucumbers, baby spinach, onion, tomato, Green Giant steam bags, broccoli. You can make a big salad or you can cook up a BUNCH of veggies for a low-cal., yet filling, meal.
Fruit: Peach cups, applesauce, watermelon, apples, oranges, strawberries, raspberries. I like to have fruit as a snack because it's sweet. If you buy packaged fruit (like in a can) make sure it's in water (not syrup) with no sugar added.
Grain: Sandwich thins, Bagel thins, low-fat crackers, quinoa. The sandwich thins are 100 calories for one. That's like 2 pieces of bread for 100 calories. The bagel thins are 110 calories each. You can have half a bagel for 55 calories. Yum.
Dairy: low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese, low-fat or fat-free mozzarella, light Silk soy milk. I always get cheese cravings really bad, and fat-free cottage cheese is 40 calories for 1/4 cup. It's good plain or with fruit mixed in. The light soy milk I get is 50 calories for 1 cup.
Protein: Gardein Crispy Tenders, tofu, black beans. I'm a vegetarian, and I LOVE the gardein tenders. Trader Joe's has their own brand too. They're 50 calories each and go awesome on top of salad. Tofu and black beans make good additions to food and the protein keeps you full.
Drinks: diet coke, tea, black coffee, water, diet/light juice. Most "light juices have 50 calories or under per cup.

2 comments:

  1. Great list! It'd take days for me to write a list. I have a fridge, freezer and pantry stacked full of hoarded safe foods!

    My favorite 'low-cal bread' is from Baker's Delight, a chain bakery over here. I buy their small wholemeal loaves, and each slice weighs between 20-25g (47-58 cals each), so two slices is maybe 100-110 cal. Very handy!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah around here the lowest calorie bread I can find is the sandwich thins. They're fine, but they can be a little bland.
      I have a few "go-to" foods that I always keep around. But I'm forever buying stuff just because it's low calorie!

      Delete