Friday, July 26, 2013

What to Do When You Binge

     Face it, no one's perfect, and we all make mistakes. One of those mistakes in binging. Now, I'm not talking about over eating by 100 calories or so. I'm talking about eating 1000+ calories in one sitting. I'm really bad at binging all the time, which caused me to get into the habit of purging. Purging is not the answer. One binge isn't going to make you gain 10 pounds. It's okay. This is what to do when you binge:

  • Get away from the food. Go somewhere else so that you aren't tempted to eat more. You will just get more upset.
  • Stay calm. Take deep breaths and try not to obsess over it. Don't go and count the calories up in everything you ate.
  • Think about taking some medicine to make your stomach feel better. Your body isn't going to like all the junk you put into it.
  • Get yourself involved in a different activity. What were you doing before you binged? If you were watching TV, then stop watching TV.
  • After you've calmed down, try to think about WHY you binged. Was it because you were really emotional? Did your hunger overtake you? Try to do something else when this happens. If it's emotional, try talking to someone or writing it down. If it's hunger, try having a small snack and eat it away from other food.
  • Always remember that tomorrow is a new day.
I hope this helped!


14 comments:

  1. Helpful tips for bingers. I have one which might induce binging in some but seems to stop me from doing it .

    Cooking/baking when I cook/bake it seems to supress my binge urge and the fact that you HAVE to wait for the final product somehow helps the urge pass. Afterwords I can always manage to keep my tasting to a simple bite.

    Though having fresh baked goods arround for too long isn't good, so I try to bring it to friends/work/family. (Yah I'm the girl who brings the goodies in, but its better to be the one bringing in food then trying to resist others food)

    Take care hunn.
    Xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking is a huge binge trigger for me. I'll make brownies and then just eat the entire pan :X

      Delete
    2. Strangely I can relate to you both. When I was going through the worst period of bulimia (when I'm in a binge mode), cooking and baking always led me to binges.
      When I was restricting though, I used baking as a way to control my urges.
      But as Miss.Genna said; keeping the baked goods in the house for too long is rather risky. So usually I just give them away.

      Delete
  2. Do you enjoy feeling depressed? / Sweden calling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I don't. That's why I'm in treatment.

      Delete
    2. oh i see! sounds good! hope its going well, wish you the best of luck!

      Delete
    3. realized that I was reading something old. sorry for that. Sounds like you got a handle on it all,

      Delete
    4. Haha it's fine. This post isn't that old..

      Delete
    5. true. understand to some extent what you are going through.

      Delete
    6. When did you become depressed, and when did you get your eating disorder

      Delete
    7. I've been depressed since I was about 8, but I wasn't formally diagnosed until I was 16. I've had eating problems since I was 12, but I have not yet been formally diagnosed.

      Delete
    8. Okay i see, what kind of treatment are you having?

      Delete