Monday, July 29, 2013

Little Ways to Save Money

     I know a lot of people who read this blog are in a similar situation as me. A teenager with no job or a shitty job whose parents won't buy anything. I'm in college and tuition it $30k+ a year. Plus books. Plus groceries. Plus anything else I want to spend my money on. My parents are helping out with college, but after this year I have $0 left in my college fund. Awesome. I'm also trying to get an apartment, where rent is over $1000 a month. It sucks. This has caused me to become pretty frugal. So here are just some ways that I like to save money.

  • Keep all of your change. Every penny. Put it in a jar or wherever. I've been doing this for years and it has saved me over $300. You can bring the coins to a machine, but that usually costs money. I prefer to roll my coins and deposit them in the bank.
  • Thrift shop. It may take some digging, so maybe set aside a rainy day for this. But thrift shops are great places to find clothes. Just make sure they aren't ripped or have major stains. I like Good Will.
  • Swap clothes. If your friends don't want stuff, then see if it fits you and ask them if you can have it. One of my friends bought a bunch of bathing suits, but they didn't fit her, so she let me have a couple.
  • Don't go out to eat all the time. I know it's so easy to just stop at McDonald's and get food, but all of those $5 meals add up to a lot. Buy your food at the grocery store instead.
  • Look for coupons. I'm a vegetarian and those fake meats can get pretty expensive. Luckily, there's a bunch of coupons out there. You can also get coupons for store for signing up for emails on their website.
  • Victoria's Secret free panties coupons. It's the only underwear I get. You don't need to even buy anything else.
  • Make money online. I used to use Swagbucks everyday. You take surveys and watch videos and get points which you can use towards giftcards or even deposit it into your paypal. I found out about it on a Stay At Home Mom blog, but I like it to kill time at work.
  • Buy things in bulk. Stuff that you use all the time, like toilet paper, you can buy in bulk and save a lot. You're not going to NOT need toilet paper.
  • Buy the store brand instead of the name brand. They're usually the same exact thing, but a lot cheaper. This is great for things like Advil.
  • Return your cans and bottles! In MA you get 5 cents per can. My friend takes her dad's beer cans and returns them and she gets to keep the money!
  • Walk, if you can. In the city its $2.50 to take the subway, no matter how many stops. So I walk almost everywhere. You can also ride a bike places. [And you get to burn calories!]
     That's my list for now. Feel free to comment with any additions that you have!

2 comments: